How to create a complete rain harvesting system.
Don't just fit a tank - install the complete system
If you are considering purchasing a rainwater tank, we recommend installing a complete system to improve water quality and reduce tank maintenance . With a little planning, you can design and install a system that will not only give you good quality water, but will reduce your reliance on mains water. Rainwater that is captured and stored correctly is a safe, economical and sustainable source of quality water that can supply your complete requirements.
The following diagram shows the components that we recommend you to use to build your complete rain harvesting system .
1. Check ROOF SURFACE is suitable for collecting quality rainwater.
2. Install GUTTER MESH to prevent leaves and debris from blocking gutters.
3. Fit GUTTER OUTLETS from the underside of the gutter to prevent obstruction of water flow.
4. Fit Leaf stopper RAIN HEADS to downpipes to stop gutters blocking. Rain heads deflect leaves and debris & keep mosquitoes out of pipes that hold water.
5. Install WATER DIVERTER/S to prevent the first flush of most contaminated rainwater from entering the tank.
6. Ensure the TANK SCREEN is installed at tank entry point to filter water and keep mosquitoes and pests out.
7. Choose a WATER TANK . Consider annual rainfall, roof catchment's area and water usage when determining its size.
8. Attach INSECT PROOF SCREENS or FLAP VALVES to the end of all pipes to the tank screen and to TANK OVERFLOW OUTLETS to keep mosquitoes and pests out and ensure tank is vented properly.
9. Utilise a TANK TOP UP system (if required) to automatically top-up the tank with mains water when water levels fall to a designated minimum level.
10. Select a PUMP SYSTEM to distribute water for use inside or outside the home.
11. RAINWATER FILTER . Fit a purpose designed rainwater filter after the
pump to help reduce residual sediment, colour and odour.
12. WATER LEVEL MONITOR . Install a level indicator to help monitor your
water usage. Wireless systems are most convenient and display a reading
inside the home.